Monday, February 5, 2007

ONE StrangE FrienD



I don’t know why but when I think of this observational essay I have so many ideas, yet I continuously come back to an elevator idea. I don’t know why but it intrigues me. So many people use them and yet no one appreciates them for their services. From the two floor elevators to the high rise building elevators, so many people use them and hardly take appreciation of their construction and their services to the hard working people who use them. I though it would be interesting to observe “The Life of an Elevator” from the single guy who rides, thinking he is alone singing or doing something regrettably embarrassing to the packed uncomfortable feeling in the office buildings. The history of elevators goes back to 1850, and that is a lot of untold info that needs to be presented.

http://www.geocities.com/WallStreet/1484/floor5.htm

A little history on our not so known friend.
Elevators were in service but there was only one problem, brakes!!! Elisha Graves Otis (1811-1861) took care of this after some experiments went down. The closest elevator that resembles our modernized series was introduced in 1880 when electric elevators exploded onto the scene.

Elevators lift everything from space shuttles, people, and even cars but for my essay I want to narrow it down to human-elevator interactions.


There is even a union for elevator constructors,

http://www.iuec.org/

International Union of Elevator Constructors. There are well over 25,000 members dedicated to the construction of elevators.

I mean if you are like most people, you usually have an interest in seeing how things work, dissecting things until they are understood. This is basic human instinct to take things apart and see how they work. Elevators fascinate me in this way I suppose which is why I am going to write an essay on them.

http://science.howstuffworks.com/elevator.htm

If you think about it, elevators are a major common usage in every day life, especially since they are practically everywhere. For instance somewhere and the beginning of some workday, for fun sake, lets say an IRS employee is on his way to work. He/she woke up with an average morning, doing the same ol’ routine but know he/she can’t be late again because of anything other wise the boss is really going to crack down. Now lets say he/she makes it to work, passing up a traffic delay, with a decent attitude ready to start his/her day greeting his passing co-workers on the entry-level floor. There are a series of elevators, roughly four, but all in use. Three of the elevators just took off from his/her current floor and being so early in the day, there is no chance taking them; waiting for those would be certain confrontation because they are going to stop on practically every floor going up and down. While the last elevator sits on the 3rd floor where it has been for the past few weeks because the maintenance company hasn’t taken the time to come out and fix it. Now that employee has to walk all the way up to an upper 30’s level floor using the stairs. Which in turn causes tardiness which forces confrontation with the boss, making the employee enraged beyond belief. NOTE… IT IS EASYER TO TAKE OUT ONES ANGER ON OTHERS RATHER THEN LETTING IT SIT… and maybe you are the unlucky one who gets his/her taxes on top of the stack set in front of that employee on that day.

1 comment:

Ahmad A. said...

Finding someone who writes about this topic is very rare, and that might make it unique. Once I saw the picture of the elevator, it has really caught my attention. I didn't expect that you are going to write about it, it's a strange topic. I had a bad experience with your Strange Friend. I got stuck onetime with many people inside the elevator more than one hour; nevertheless, I still use it. I think you should choose a fancy elevator and spend time inside it to observe the features, but don't get stuck inside it :) HAHA